From: Scrivener, Laurie L.
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:46 AM
The library is in the process of reviewing our subscriptions to databases, with the aim of reducing the amount annually spent. The humanities and fine arts librarians have reviewed database subscriptions in our subject areas and have come up with a list of proposed cancellations. In reviewing the databases, we considered their usage in relation to their annual cost, the amount of overlap in coverage with other databases, as well as the unique features of some of the databases. We are proposing the cancellation of some lower usage databases.
The list of proposed cancellations is below, as well as under the Humanities and Fine Arts tab on this guide http://guides.ou.edu/LibraryDatabaseSubscriptions. Please review this list and share it with your colleagues. If there are any items that should not be cancelled, please contact me about them by September 30.
The proposed cancellations are:
- Acta Sanctorum – Provides access to an electronic version of the complete printed text of Acta Sanctorum, including prefaces, original texts, critical apparatus, and indices. This collection of documents examines the lives of saints, arranged according to each saint’s feast day.
- Art Index Retrospective – Includes materials on traditional art, art history, archaeology, architecture, fashion design, interior design, visual art, and non-western art. Materials indexed include journal articles, yearbooks, and museum bulletins. Includes multi-lingual material.
- Black Studies Center – Includes the Schomburg Studies on the Black Experience, International Index to Black Periodicals (IIBP), the Black Literature Index.
- British Literary Manuscripts – Provides access to facsimile images of letters, poems, plays, novels, and other literary works.
- Colonial State Papers – Provides access to primary source documents from the sixteenth to the eighteenth centuries. The earliest English settlements in North America, encounters with Native Americans, piracy in the Atlantic and Caribbean, the trade in slaves and English conflicts with the Spanish and French are all covered in this database.
- Early European Books – Provides access to high-resolution facsimile images of rare printed sources from the origin of printing through the seventeenth century.
- Nineteenth Century Masterfile – 19th Century Masterfile provides access to Index to Legal Periodical Literature, 1786-1922; Index to Periodicals, 1890-1906; Mechanics, Physics, Mathematics Cumulative Index to a Selected List of Periodicals (1896-1899); Poole’s Index to Periodical Literature, 1802-1906; The Psychological Index (1894-1905) and Richardson’s Index to Periodical Articles in Religion (1890-1899).
- RIPM – Retrospective Index to Music Periodicals – Provides access to international coverage of the music periodical literature published from the late 18th- to mid-20th- centuries in Europe and the United States.
- Teatro Español del Siglo de Oro – Access significant literary plays of the sixteenth and seventeenth century in Spain. Full text available.
I will add this message to my archived email at http://laurie.oucreate.com/category/emails/.
Laurie Scrivener, M.L.I.S.
Associate Professor of Bibliography
History and Area Studies Librarian
University of Oklahoma Libraries
630 Parrington Oval, Room 452, Norman, OK 73019
firstname.lastname@example.org | 405.325.1903 | @LaurieScrivener